Monday, August 8, 2011

Pesto Potato Salad

I've been making a lot of pesto. I think "Ooo, I want to make tomato basil napoleons and this bunch of basil is only a dollar!" I buy two bunches. I use ten leaves. It wilts. I make pesto. I might as well make another kind of potato salad, right? What is this, six?

This pesto salad is best with either 2/3 cilantro and 1/3 mint (C: too minty) or all arugula or the really oily pesto one buys in stores if one does not have a produce fixation. Boil one pound of potatoes until tender- try to use a sweetish potato, like white potatoes or German butterballs or Yukon golds. Destem one half pound green beans and cut into inch long pieces. Blanch the green beans until tender- about two minutes.

Slice the potatoes into bite sized chunks. Add green beans. Dress with olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup pesto. (I suppose you could use less pesto, but at this point I'm just dumping it into everything. Oil and lemon are to taste- a dollop and a half lemon, probably.)

It's a pretty good potato salad, but I like all potato salads. Obviously.

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up on your last month or so of recipes and once again find myself ridiculously homesick for produce (perhaps the French have a word for that...)

    I haven't had a decent stone fruit since last summer and tomatoes here simply don't suffer enough to be truly excellent. Even the potatoes are unvaried and somewhat mediocre. Sigh. I had no idea that an entire culinary culture based around spam musubi would be the price living in a tropical paradise.

    ReplyDelete